National Garden Scheme
Gardens Open in Northumberland
This year 27 wonderful gardens in Northumberland will open their gates to visitors in aid of the National Gardens Scheme. It’s a great way of spending an afternoon, getting ideas for your own garden, meeting up with friends, buying plants and enjoying a delicious home-made tea. Many of the gardens are private, and it’s the one chance in the year to get a glimpse behind walls and hedges, into what are normally hidden spaces.
The first gardens opened for the NGS in 1927, and since then the NGS has given more than £45 million to support cancer patients, nurses, carers and the hospice movement through donations to Macmillan, Marie Curie, Hospice UK, the Carers Trust and other charities. Last year an amazing £2.637 million was donated nationally. The NGS is the largest single donor to these four charities and the most significant charitable funder of nursing charities.
- In 2014 donated £2.5 million to the charities it supports
- It is Macmillan’s and Marie Curie’s biggest ever donorl
- It is Marie Curie Cancer Care’s biggest ever donor and has given £6.9m in total
- The donation in 2015 to Hospice UK was the biggest it has ever received
- The donation to Perennial in 2015 is the largest in the charity’s 175 year history
Details of the thousands of gardens open for the NGS throughout England and Wales are in the famous Yellow Book and also on the website, www.ngs.org.uk (NGS North East gardens)
Here in Northumberland you can visit some truly inspiring and varied gardens:
- country house gardens
- town gardens
- a magnificent glasshouse with vines and fruit
- a vibrantly planted walled garden
- National Trust gardens opening for the NGS
- old favourites and new delights
- visit award winning dahlia growers
- come to Plant Sales where you can pick up something special.
- many gardens are open for groups by arrangement
An afternoon out visiting one of these lovely gardens can be a joy. The gardeners are all very welcoming, there is much to see and learn, there may be plants and teas to buy and you know that all the money goes to help very worthwhile charities.